Welcome to San Francisco State University
Set in one of the world’s most beautiful and diverse cities, the SF State campus boasts a vibrant mix of people, cultures, and languages in a quiet corner of San Francisco just 1.6 km from the Pacific Ocean. Public transportation conveniently located next to campus offers easy access to the excitement of downtown only 20 minutes away. The San Francisco Bay Area offers students abundant opportunities to enhance their degree programs. Fieldwork, community projects, and internships make learning come alive while giving you an advantage in the job market after graduation.
The main campus covers 58 hectares by Lake Merced Park, the Downtown Campus is in the heart of the financial and tech center of the city, the Romberg Tiburon Center for Environmental Studies is located on the San Francisco Bay and there is a Sierra Nevada Field Campus in the Sierra foothills.
Top 10 Majors for International Students
- Business Administration
- Computer Science
- International Relations
- Broadcasting & Electronic Communication Arts (BECA)
- Communication Studies
- Fall semester is mid-August through December (16 weeks)
- Spring semester is mid-January through May (16 weeks)
- Summer Sessions run June through August (5-10 weeks)
- Undergraduate students: 26,815
- Graduate students: 3,441
- International students: 1,695
- TOTAL STUDENTS: 30,256
Founded in 1899, SF State is part of the California State University (CSU) system. SF State is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Academic departments and programs are also individually accredited.
Ranking and Distinctions
In a region known for innovation, creativity, and progressive thinking, SF State is the intellectual heart and soul of the surrounding city. A leader in community service learning and international education, SF State is also a major civic force, collaborating with government, business, and educational partners to advance the University and the region. Our many honors and distinctions include:
- Established the first international relations department at a U.S. university (sending more students abroad than any masters-granting institution in the country);
- College of Business recognized as one of just 15% of business schools worldwide that meet rigorous AACSB International accreditation standards;
- Named one of the nation’s top film schools by The Hollywood Reporter. Between 1999 and 2016, more than a dozen alumni were nominated for an Academy Award;
- 10 alumni and faculty honored with the Pulitzer Prize;
- SF State alums founded successful businesses from Bebe stores to E-Loan and have held top leadership positions at Starbucks, Symantec, AT&T, Disney and more.
SF State offers several on-campus housing options: residence halls, apartments with one, two or three bedrooms and family apartments. Theme and learning communities are available to residents who wish to live with other students with similar majors and personal interests. The housing application process is separate from the university application. After you have submitted your application, you should apply for housing as soon as you receive your SF State ID number. You do not need to have received formal admission to apply for housing.
Programs taught in:
- English (US)