Why Savannah State?
- Founded: 1890
- Total enrollment: About 4,900
- Accreditations: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Academic programs: 30 baccalaureate majors and degrees; 6 graduate
- Faculty: 145
- Financial aid: More than 90 percent of Savannah State students receive some form of scholarship or financial aid.
- Activities: More than 75 clubs, organizations, student publications, honoraries, sororities, and fraternities and intramural sports.
- Athletics: Savannah State is a member of the NCAA Division I AA
- Men's - Football, Basketball, Baseball, Track, and Field, & Golf
- Women's - Basketball, Softball, Tennis, Cross Country, Track and Field, Volleyball & Golf
- Mascot: Tiger
For 128 years, Savannah State University has been an important part of higher education. As the oldest public HBCU in Georgia and the oldest institution of higher learning in the historic city of Savannah, SSU has served this community with distinction while meeting the educational needs of an increasingly diverse student population.
The 201-acre campus is by far the most picturesque in the state of Georgia. The moss-laden sweeping oak trees, expansive marsh and historic architecture create a resplendent yet tranquil atmosphere. Beneath the beauty and splendor is a vibrant residential campus bursting at the seams with the vim and vigor of quality collegiate life: relevant academic majors, engaging lectures, cutting-edge research, quality student-faculty engagement and a nurturing environment. I invite you to become a part of the SSU family. Please continue your exploration of Savannah State University - both on the Web and in person - and share our excitement.
Savannah State University, the oldest public historically black university in the State of Georgia, develops productive members of a global society through high-quality instruction, scholarship, research, service and community involvement. The University fosters engaged learning and personal growth in a student-centered environment that celebrates the African American legacy while nurturing a diverse student body. Savannah State University offers graduate and undergraduate studies including nationally accredited programs in the liberal arts, the sciences, and the professions.
Savannah State University will become the institution of choice in our region, where students maximize their potential in a nurturing environment that embraces social and intellectual diversity. The university will create an efficient, student-centered culture, responsive to the needs of its stakeholders, supportive of ideals and ethical verities, and loyal to its rich legacy and heritage.
Programs taught in: